1 large fennel bulb
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
2 garlic cloves, with peel
225ml extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled but whole
1 branch of fresh rosemary
1 tin of white beans
juice of 1 lemon
50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C. Remove the fennel tops and root. Roughly chop into 2cm pieces. Toss in rapeseed oil with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Place in one layer in a roasting tin. Add the garlic cloves and roast until soft and beginning to color. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small sauce pan. When it is hot (but not smoking) add garlic cloves and branch of rosemary. Simmer for a minute or two until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Rinse beans under cold water and add to the large bowl of a food processor. Pour the infused oil through the spout while pureeing the beans. Squeeze the roasted garlic from its peel and add to the food processor along with the roasted fennel.
- When smooth, taste the puree and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add the Parmesan cheese. Add additional oil until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve on freshly slices bread or crackers.